Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm not crazy...I just have a 6 week old

I was toying whether or not to write some of this but I promised to stay honest and they are in fact feelings that I'm sure other mothers have experienced. Sorry if it offends some mothers....

So yesterday I wrote that sweet blog to Luke. Would you guess that two hours later I'm crying because I'm so tired and frustrated that he just won't sleep. No nap either. He was up from 6:30am to 5:00 pm. I tried everything, swaddle, white noise, swing, bouncy, cuddling...etc. He wasn't fussy..he just wouldn't nap but if I put him down he would cry. He would yawn and close his little eyes just teasing me then jolt awake and be alert again. He's a baby and needs his rest so I would continue the fight. I was exhausted by the time Jason got home and was in tears because I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Why won't he nap for me? I confessed (still in tears) that I hated being a mom, I hated the dog, I was miserable and wanted my old life back. Of course non of this was true but thats how I felt then. I should also mention that I had about 6-8 hours of sleep in 2 1/2 days. He sat down next to me and reached his hand out and asked "Do you want to hold my hand?" I just looked at him and cried some more. Sometimes thats all you need. He knew I didn't mean any of it and wasn't concerned, I was just having a bad couple of days. He sent me to bed and of course as soon as he held Luke he was out like a light. Not just for an hour but the child sleep from 5-11pm getting up once to eat. I couldn't believe it but I slept also from 5-11. He got up twice last night which was great. I can't believe Luke slept so well through the night and we didn't even do his night schedule (bath and bottle). He was obviously exhausted from 2 days of barely sleeping. Jason and I brainstormed and came up with, maybe I'm over stimulating him during the day and missing his "I'm tired" cues. Today I've changed things slightly and he's already been down for 2 hours this morning. I'm amazed yet hopeful I've figured things out...for now anyway. Yes my emotions are up and down right now. I'm not crazy....I just have a 6 week old.

No comments:

Post a Comment