Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happy 6 weeks Luke!

I thought I would dedicate this blog to Luke. He's 6 weeks old today and I can't believe it.

If you'd ask me 5 years ago if I ever thought I'd be a mommy, I'd laugh at you. Just ask my friends and family. The day I found out I was pregnant with you was the happiest day I could have imagined but it was the day you were born that I was overwhelmed with emotion. At 39 weeks I started to wonder if you were going to make your appearance, what you looked like, if you were healthy, did I keep you safe and sound for 9 months? It was when I heard your cry that I knew you were ok. You were so dramatic in your entrance to this world. You had all of the nurses laughing at you as you threw your hand up to your face like...."uhhhh...what a day I've had". I laughed and cried all in one. I was so sad to see you taken away but knew your daddy would be with you to keep you safe.
Well...we've made it 6 weeks. I don't know about you but I'm exhausted and as you are sleeping away in your swing now...you seem exhausted also. I've learned that I have to double swaddle you at night because you are so strong and you eat like a maniac. Even though the nights are rough, I secretly enjoy them. Its then I get to rock you as you lean your small little head on my shoulder with a full belly and rest. I take in every smell and moment because I know that you will grow up so fast. We've put a lot of miles on that rocking chair.
I miss you when I'm gone and even when you are playing with your dad in the next room. Lately you seem to understand everything that's going on around you and give us feedback by talking or a small cry with that bottom lip stuck out.
We have 6 weeks down and a lifetime to go. I'm excited about each day ahead of us and also fearful of what the world has in store for you. So...with all this said, I'll continue to do the best I can to love and protect you through anything. You changed my life for the better and I can't imagine what I would have done without you.

Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. OK, so it's b/c I'm 30 wks pregnant as I read this but seriously.....Mommy tears. I've got 3 years down and a lifetime to go with one little one already. It keeps getting better Brandie - it really does!

    ReplyDelete